Welcome to Planned Giving
Making a planned gift is a wonderful way to show your support and appreciation for Our Lady of Tepeyac High School and its mission while accommodating your own personal, financial, estate-planning, and philanthropic goals. With smart planning, you may actually increase the size of your estate and/or reduce the tax burden on your heirs. Just as important, you will know that you have made a meaningful contribution to Our Lady of Tepeyac High School.
Five Ways to Make a Planned Gift
To read about one of the five basic ways to make a planned gift, select the one below that best fits your situation.
1. Gift by Will - Make a Gift that Costs Nothing Now
- Through various types of bequests to Our Lady of Tepeyac High School, you may secure a charitable estate-tax deduction for the value of the gift. Best of all, you will know that your generosity will support our mission for years to come.
- You may prefer to state in your will or trust a sum of money or a percentage of your estate that you wish to give to Our Lady of Tepeyac High School.
- Whatever form of bequest you choose, it is not subject to federal estate taxes and so significantly reduces the tax burden of an estate. The value of the bequest may be deducted when the taxable estate is determined, and there is no limit to the deduction.
2. Gift That Protects Your Assets - Lead trusts allow you to benefit Our Lady of Tepeyac High School now, then your heirs.
- This type of gift arrangement allows you to direct gifts to Our Lady of Tepeyac High School for a specified period of time and, in turn, receive either a charitable deduction now for gifts made in subsequent years or a reduction in gift or estate taxes on property you wish to pass to heirs.
- Under the nongrantor plan, you irrevocably transfer assets to a trustee and provide that payments be made to Our Lady of Tepeyac High School for a certain number of years (or until the end of your or another's life). Then the principal is distributed to your children, grandchildren, or other heirs. The principal passes to your heirs at greatly reduced gift- and estate-tax rates and sometimes escapes them altogether. The charitable lead trust may appeal to individuals who wish to make a gift but retain the property in their family.
- Charitable lead trusts (CLTs) are simple in concept but are complex gift- and estate-planning devices because of the many technical drafting requirements of the IRS. We recommend you consult an attorney who specializes in trusts and estates and has experience with CLTs.
3. Gifts from Retirement Plans - Consider retirement-plan benefits for a significant gift to Our Lady of Tepeyac High School.
- Your retirement-plan benefits are very likely a significant portion of your net worth. And because of special tax considerations, they could make an excellent choice for funding a charitable gift.
- Retirement-plan benefits include assets held in individual retirement accounts (IRAs), 401(k) plans, profit-sharing plans, Keogh plans, and 403(b) plans.
4. Gifts by Estate Note - An estate note is an irrevocable pledge or debt against the donor's estate.
How It Works
1. You make a pledge of support to Our Lady of Tepeyac High School
2. You execute an estate note to pay off pledge from estate assets in case pledge remains unpaid at death
- You are assured that the programs you wish to support at Our Lady of Tepeyac High School will receive all the funds you intend
5. What to Give - Giving cash is simple, but giving assets such as stocks often offers additional tax savings
- The simplest way to support Our Lady of Tepeyac High School is through cash gifts. But creative gifts of assets can include stocks, bonds, and property (real estate and personal property such as artwork). These provide you with charitable deductions and can offer additional tax savings as well.
Memorials & Honorariums
This program allows friends of Our Lady of Tepeyac High School to direct gifts to assist students who receive need-based scholarships to attend our school. Each donor will be recognized and provided tax deduction information for their gift.
Honorariums & Memorials are communicated through a special greeting card notifying the honored or loved ones of the memorial gift of the impact the gift to support Our Lady of Tepeyac High School students has made.
Illinois Tax Credit Scholarship Program
The Illinois Invest in Kids Act, passed by the Illinois state legislature, was designed to create a more equitable formula for school funding. Through the program, scholarships are awarded to families with income-eligible households who choose to enroll their children at private schools including Our Lady of Tepeyac High School. Funding for the scholarships is generated through a provision that allows individuals and corporations to donate to Scholarship Granting Organizations (SGOs) in return for a 75% credit against their state taxes. Be sure to designate that your gift support students at Our Lady of Tepeyac High School. Visit the Illinois Invest in Kids website
Stock Gifts & Wire Transfers
Our Lady of Tepeyac High School is an Archdiocese of Chicago Catholic High School. Instructions for making a stock donation to the Archdiocese of Chicago designated to Our Lady of Tepeyac High School are provided here.