Throughout it’s history, Our Lady of Tepeyac has served as a point of entry for many families immigrating to the United States. Originally St. Casimir, our High School opened its doors in 1927. Staffed by the Resurrection Sisters, the school served a primarily Polish and Lithuanian immigrant population until the 1970’s. Around this time, our southwest side neighborhood became a home for Mexican immigrants seeking new opportunities. In 1990 St. Casimir merged with another local parish, St. Ludmila and adopted the new name of Our Lady of Tepeyac, reflecting the now dominant Latino-American presence in the Little Village neighborhood. Also at that time, Catholic schools were no longer required to serve families only within their parish boundaries, a policy change which brought students to Our Lady of Tepeyac from all over Chicago. The last of the Sisters of the Resurrection who worked in the building was Sr. Kathryn Wojcik, principal of the high school until 2003. The Sisters continue to support Our Lady of Tepeyac today.
Tepeyac stands with and for its young women, who we know will make a difference in our neighborhood, in their families and in the Church and world. Our school’s greatest achievement is the development of strong character and the fostering of faith-based leadership in young women.