Upcoming Events:

Mission

Our Lady of Tepeyac High School is a Roman Catholic girls’ secondary school deeply rooted in the Little Village neighborhood that, without regard to ability to pay or immediate preparedness for high school study, provides a multicultural educational experience developing each young woman to her full intellectual and spiritual potential in an environment that values learning linked to faith, family, and community.

Vision

In order to fulfill its mission, Our Lady of Tepeyac will strive to be recognized as the premier Catholic mission high school for girls in Chicago as evidenced by:

  • All graduates prepared for post-secondary education through a strong curriculum targeted to the learning styles of young women.
  • Funded endowment facilitating tuition rates to meet each qualified student’s needs.
  • Credentialed and compensated faculty and staff.
  • Attractive facilities that meet the educational needs of current and prospective students.
  • Level of faculty, staff, student, parent and community involvement in extracurricular and cross-curriculum activities.

History of Our Lady of Tepeyac High School

The red brick building on Whipple Street began as St. Casimir, a parochial elementary school, in 1904. It served the southwest Chicago community comprising both Polish and Lithuanian immigrants at the time. The Sisters of the Resurrection administered the school and lived on the fourth floor until most of the floor was destroyed by fire in 1933.

In 1927, the new school building on Albany Ave was completed and became the new home of St. Casimir Elementary School, now Our Lady of Tepeyac Elementary School. The original building became home for St. Casimir's new high school. Both schools served Chicago’s Polish community through a rapid demographic shift beginning in the 1970s, which saw an influx of Mexican immigrants seeking opportunity.

In 1990, St. Ludmila and St. Casimir parishes merged and adopted the new name of Our Lady of Tepeyac, reflecting the now dominant Latino-American presence in the Little Village neighborhood. Also at that time, Catholic schools were no longer required to serve families only within their parish boundaries, a policy change which brought students to Our Lady of Tepeyac from all over Chicago. The last of the Sisters of the Resurrection who worked in the building was Sr. Katheryn Wojcik, principal of the high school until 2003, but the Sisters continue to support Our Lady of Tepeyac today.



Copyright © Our Lady of Tepeyac 2017
2228 South Whipple St.
Chicago, IL 60623
Email:info@ourladyoftepeyac.org
Phone: (773) 522-0023
Fax: (773) 522-0508

CTA Information:

Click on each one for directions from that point.

L Train Stops: Bus Stops Near Us:
  • 21 - Cermak
  • 52 - Kedzie
  • 94 - California